Sunday, January 10, 2010

Trying to find the Silver Lining

I was going to say, "Life is what you make of it", but I don't think that's totally true. I think life is what we let God make of it, and how we choose to react to it. I was thinking today at church that I can either choose to let situations get me down and continue to flounder around, or I can realize God's given me a pretty good life and instead of having a pitty party, I need to CHOOSE to look at the bright side. My friend, Andrea, is GREAT at this; whenever she is telling me about something that could bring her down, she laughs and says, "...but what can you do about it". I love that!
My kids have been driving me crazy. Just plain crazy! Today has been a better day, for which I am thankful. I need to be thankful that I have to (somewhat) happy, healthy kids; not all of my friends can say that, so while they're throwing tantrums and making me say bad words in my head, I need to see them as the blessing God intended them to be (not going to lie - easier said than done).
My husband is going to be gone 4 out of 5 nights this week, and for our 10 year anniversary we'll be going to Thornley's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. I know, it's how everyone wishes they could celebrate a decade of marriage - last year they at least had pizza, hopefully this year we'll be so lucky! My husband is gone because he is blessed to have a job that he loves, that he is good at. I need to be thankful that he's only gone for the evening, and while it's hard at times especially at bedtime for the boys, he's not off fighting in the war like some people's husbands (regardless of what you think about war, you've got to be thankful for those that serve).
Our house, which I so lovingly refer to as the "half-ass house" because that's the kind of job the previous owner did on the house; is a house. That we own. Sometimes I feel it's too big, and hard to clean, but we have a house, with running water, heat, food in the refrigerator and clothes in the closet (and all over the laundry room floor).
I would love to be more like my friend, Andrea, and be able to laugh and say, "Well, what are you going to do". Because maybe, just maybe I shouldn't be praying for God to change my situation, but to change ME in my situation. Maybe I should start looking for the silver lining as opposed to the constant cloud cover!

No comments: