Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Simple Life

Wasn't that the name of Nicole Richie & Paris Hilton's show a few years back. That is soooo how I would describe myself right now; drinking a glass of 2 buck Chuck, typing on my 5 year old computer, lamenting about my husband's 10 year old car that wouldn't start last night and is in the shop, but they can't find anything wrong with it. Yes, Nicole and Paris, I'm right there with you!
I've always wanted to live a "simple life", and am wondering how that is possible while living in such a consumeristic place like we do. I'm not talking Laura Ingalls, go out and get my eggs from the chicken and milk from the cow so I can make breakfast (although, some days I'm so ready to throw on the calico and braid my hair), but more along the lines of how do we enjoy the simple things in life with all the madness going on around us? How do we sit back and relax, when there is always so much to do?
Adam and I (well, mostly just me, Adam kept leaving the table because of a migraine) were invited out to dinner the other night with a bunch youth pastors from the area, and I was sitting at a table with a newly engaged couple that were going on and on about the way things were going to be when they got married. And while it was fun to listen to and reminded me of Adam and I back in the day, I found myself being somewhat cynical, thinking, "Sure, that's what you THINK things are going to be like, but reality is so much different". Then I got to thinking, is it really, or do we just sometime sell out because it's easier?
Last night at youth group Adam was talking about life being a mess and living a life of obedience to God, even though we don't always get it. During our small group time one of the girls said, "Being obedient sucks sometimes", and I couldn't have agreed more! Why is it so hard to do what we're supposed to do, instead of what we think we want to do? Why is it so easy to sell out and go with the flow?
So maybe there is my answer, the simple life is like the obedient life; it's not always the fun option to choose and it doesn't always make sense, but in the end I'll look back and be alot happier for choosing that path.
Not going to lie, I will still continue to wrestle and struggle with this, because sometimes the over the top, the new and the flashy LOOKS like it's more fun!
Oh, and the problem with the car is a part under warranty - so yay! Other than renewing AAA so we didn't have to pay for the tow, it won't cost us a cent!

No comments: