Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Thornley!

Isn't it funny how six years ago today, about this time I was thinking the exact same thing...why can't everyone leave me alone so I can rest?!
You know how people say that you forget the whole birthing process? Well, let me tell you 6 years later I remember it like it was yesterday! Thornley was born 10 days past my due date. I had gone to the doctor on the morning of the 15th for some "non-stress" tests that frankly, stressed me out! My doctor decided that the next morning I should come to the hospital and they would start the induction process. This was fine with me, the next day would be a Thursday and was the Survivor Africa finale as well as the Friends episode where Rachel had her baby, so I thought I could hang out with a Potocin drip and watch my shows. Later that afternoon we were getting ready to go out to dinner with my mom and Adam's parents and my water broke. So off to the hospital we went. At some point in time Thornley's heart rate dropped, so they did one of those internal monitor deals. At about 4 a.m. I woke up to a steady beep, and was yelling at Adam to go get the nurse because the monitor wasn't registering a pulse. It took a few times to wake Adam who was snoring in the chair. The nurse comes in, says the monitor fell off Thornley's head and he was indeed fine, and oh look, it's time to push. So I pushed, and I pushed, and I pushed and 4 hours later no progress had been made, so off to the C-section room I went. A few minutes later I had the biggest coneheaded son around (really, remember the coneheads from Saturday Night Live - that was Thornley). Now, in Idaho, after a C-section, they take the baby to the nursery to check them out and get them cleaned up and you off to recovery. Finally, some rest I thought. Nope! the nurses talked to me the whole time!!
Six years later and I'm still waiting to get some rest! I love Thornley very much, and he does bring me much happiness and laughter, but he also brings me those moments that I feel like banging my head against the wall! He is so full of life and creativity and curiousity, there is never a dull moment with this one!
Thanks for strolling with me down memory lane! And Happy Birthday to my Thorns!!

No comments: