Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Stop "Shoulding" Yourself

This morning when I stepped on the scale (a daily habit that I should probably break), I thought, "I've should start eating better again". Then I went downstairs to let George out (the dog, lest you think I'm practicing poor parenting) I looked at my treadmill and thought, "I should really use that thing more often". The other day I started a blog for Thornley and thought, "I should probably post something on my own blog". So while I was drinking my coffee this morning, I was remembering a conversation Adam and I had where he said we really need to stop "shoulding" ourselves. I was also recalling something I heard at church and I'm not sure if it was Adam or this past Sunday, but the thought of just wanting something isn't enough, you actually have to DO it. Wanting to follow an eating plan, wanting to use my treadmill, wanting to post on my blog, wanting a clean house (my list could go on, believe me) isn't going to happen by moping around wishing and "shoulding". I actually have to decide to do something about it.
Part of my problem is I look at other people's blogs and think, "They're so creative, I could never do that", or, "They're such a good writer; if I wrote like them, maybe someone would read my blog". Then the verse, that I so often have to remind myself of whilst the shoulds are taking over, comes to mind, "...you are fearfully and wonderfully made". So while I may not be as creative, or as funny, or as skinny, or as in shape (again, my list could go on) as the majority of people out there, I AM wonderfully made by God, which is something to be proud of.
I am also a firm believer in leading by example, one of my favorite verses being, "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps". Perhaps a bit out of context, but if I want my kids to be healthy, to enjoy the outdoors, to take risks and be creative, I need to show them how, lead by example and encourage them.
Here is hoping for more doing and less wishing and shoulding!

No comments: